[TriLUG] SCSI

Scott Chilcote via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Sep 27 15:03:40 EDT 2017

Hi Brian,

Last October I had the opportunity to test three randomly selected old
SCSI host adapters on my Linux desktop system, which had Ubuntu Xenial
16.04 installed.  This system also has a Windows 7 SP1 partition, so I
tried them on that too.
The tests were courtesy of TriLUG's Wes Garrison, who supplied the
adapters.

In a nutshell, two of the three worked fine on Xenial.

    SCSI host adapter: Adaptec 7850T
    Linux: fully supported. Driver: AiC 7XXX.
    Win7: No driver, base config or auto-installed
    After some digging I found that Adaptec's new owner (MicroSemi)
    claims to support this card under 32 bit Win7.  The link for this
    was broken, however.  I have 64 bit, so meh.

    SCSI host adapter: Diamond Fireport
    Linux: Fully supported.  Driver LSI Logic 53C875J.
    Win7: No driver, base config or auto-installed

    SCSI host adapter: BusLogic
    Linux: No driver found.  "lspci -v" reports card as National
    Semiconductor SCSI Adapter Device ID 0000.
    Win7: No driver, base config or auto-installed

I have also tested an LSI Logic LSIU80ALVD Ultra2 LVD host adapter on
Xenial, that's the board that I used up until it died last October
(requiring that I hunt for a replacement).  It worked great, but was not
supported in Windows 7 either.

I remember being particularly annoyed when I upgraded my windows
partition from XP to 7.  My SCSI adapter worked great on XP, but there
was no driver available for 7.  I have a great HP flatbed scanner that
also plays music using its stepper motor.  It's all I need the host
adapter for any  more.

I wonder how many fully operational hardware devices wind up in
landfills because a commercial OS manufacturer arbitrarily decided to
stop recognizing their drivers?  Hurray Linux!

   Scott C.

--
Scott Chilcote
scottchilcote at ncrrbiz.com