[TriLUG] Locked Out Linux box (Update)

Paul Boyle via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Oct 20 16:08:02 EDT 2017

To give all an update:

My laptop is working again. I gave my computer to one of the tech's in
my department's electronic shop. He drained the battery and reset the
BIOS.  He also gave me the hard drive.  I was able to back up
my /home/boyle user account to an external drive.

I used:

find . -depth -print0 | cpio --null -pmvd <external storage device>

I had to wipe my disk clean (gdisk, deleted all the partitions).  I
reinstalled OpenSuSE LEAP 42.2. One change I made from my previous
installation ( / partition used btrfs and /home used xfs):  I
changed the install so that / uses an xfs filesystem as does /home.

I restored /home/boyle from my back up using the same command as above
(changing the current and target directories as appropriate.

One curious result (I know this isn't a rigourous test, but my backup
copy of my /home/boyle directory was 26 GB on the external drive (and
that's what it was on the laptop's hard drive before the crash.  I
after I restored to the newly formatted filesystem, /home/boyle was
only 25GB.  Does this indicate data loss, or could it somehow be due to
a more efficient packing on the disk when it was restored?

Thanks for any guidance.

Paul