[TriLUG] Locked Out Linux box (Denouement)

John Vaughters via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Oct 23 15:43:40 EDT 2017

 Paul,

Centos is my main go to for my daily work computer, but I do not have the fancy requirements that many have that require a richer workstation experience. I prefer the stability of the Centos Server platform, but it will trip you up on some software. It is woefully behind in many aspects like libraries, kernels and software features/fixes. Rightfully so as it's goal is to maintain server stability. Since I mainly work on servers, this is not an issue for me. I am readily willing to accept that I do not get the latest greatest.

For the latest greatest I always recommend Ubuntu. They have really worked hard to make the best experience they can for the end users. They have struck the balance of usability and reasonable delay from the latest and greatest. I always have an Ubuntu installation loaded to solve the delay issues that you find with Centos. Actually I am in the process of moving from Centos 6 to 7 for my main workstation and I plan on having an Ubuntu Docker running on the new workstation.
What annoys me about Ubuntu is the incessant update requests, which I know I can probably fix, but never took the time to do so. Other than that I get irritated when trying to solve simple tasks on Ubuntu that I can do on Centos, but that is just distribution familiarity issues.
Depending on your needs, you may find Ubuntu better if you are doing end user tasks and you are reading about all those great features only to find out you cannot do it on Centos. Or find a great library for exactly what you need to solve your issue and Centos does not have the proper library versions you need.
I have tried many distributions, but never SUSE. So I too wish you luck with Centos and that it does not get in the way of your tasks, but if it does consider an Ubuntu load.
John Vaughters