[TriLUG] Locked Out Linux box (Denouement)

Paul Boyle via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Oct 24 09:42:57 EDT 2017

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 15:37:17 -0400
Steve Litt via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> CENTOS is systemd too. If systemd continues to be a bother on CENTOS,
> consider some of the sans-systemd alternatives:

Yeah, I know CENTOS has been contaminated with systemd-orrhea. My choice
of CENTOS was that the new version of the proprietary software package I
use for my work installs and runs under CENTOS.  For over a decade, I
was able to shoehorn the vendor's rpms to run under SuSE/OpenSuSE.
Then with this new version of the vendor's packages, I couldn't get it
to work.

> * Devuan
>
> * Void Linux

I've done some reading about these two (plus VectorLinux).  One
possibility I've thought of would be to (at least on my personal
laptop), install Devuan and then see if I can get 'alien' to convert
the vendor's rpms to debs.  Is there any software which can convert
rpms to xbps packages for Void Linux?  I do like how Void Linux
sounds.  Maybe I'll set up a VM and experiment with it.

Thanks,

Paul

--
Paul D. Boyle, Ph. D.