[TriLUG] Locked Out Linux box (Denouement)

John Vaughters via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Oct 24 12:14:32 EDT 2017

 >dependency hell
That's almost always the reason. It is also the reason SW Developers tend to choose a distribution platform and stick to it for fairly complex software. Unless your business is big, say like, The Apache Foundation, then you may try to address multiple platforms.

Plus, with containerized solutions, platform restrictions become less and less.

I am mostly done with customizing libraries and bastardizing distributions just to get things to work. It's very quick to just load the platform you need in a container and off you go for the price of a memory stick. Since almost all software uses ethernet for communication, this is a very viable solution. This changes only if you have specific hardware interfaces, say like, HP-IB. Even then it may be possible to use that in a container, but that solution I would have to research. The point being.....

Containers are your friend.

John Vaughters