[TriLUG] Locked Out Linux box (Denouement)

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Oct 26 12:51:37 EDT 2017

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 15:03:11 +0000 (UTC)
John Vaughters via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

>  >As I mentioned in my reply to Steve Litt's post, moving to Ubuntu
>  >(or
> >a variant thereof), depends on whether or not I'll be able to convert
> >the proprietary rpms I use for my work to debs.Welcome to TriLUG:
> >http://trilug.org/welcome
> Paul
>
> Now that I know your proprietary software runs on Centos, for me I
> would stick with that. For the price of memory though, you could load
> Ubuntu on Docker (improvement to LXC) on the same workstations and
> start them up as needed, IF and ONLY IF, you find software tools that
> you need that are not usable on Centos. You can then run the software
> needed via 'ssh -X' to the Ubuntu Docker container and it will be as
> if you are running it in Centos directly. Just a suggestion.

And a good one: One I should have thought of. The first 6 months I used
Void Linux, I couldn't get LyX to compile my books on Void Linux, so I
did my book compilation on a Ubuntu 14.04 qemu guest. A container would
have been an even better idea.

Another thing Paul Boyle could do, given his distaste for systemd, is
run Void Linux or Devuan or Funtoo or some other sans-systemd distro,
and then for his proprietary softwhere, run it in a Centos container.

As a general principle, containers and VM guests are your guarantee
that you can run your software on your computer.

SteveT

Steve Litt
October 2017 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21