[TriLUG] Locked Out Linux box (Denouement)

John Vaughters via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Oct 24 11:03:11 EDT 2017

 >As I mentioned in my reply to Steve Litt's post, moving to Ubuntu (or
>a variant thereof), depends on whether or not I'll be able to convert
>the proprietary rpms I use for my work to debs.Welcome to TriLUG: http://trilug.org/welcome
Paul

Now that I know your proprietary software runs on Centos, for me I would stick with that. For the price of memory though, you could load Ubuntu on Docker (improvement to LXC) on the same workstations and start them up as needed, IF and ONLY IF, you find software tools that you need that are not usable on Centos. You can then run the software needed via 'ssh -X' to the Ubuntu Docker container and it will be as if you are running it in Centos directly.
Just a suggestion. I have used LXC in the past to create low resource containers to solve platform compatibility issues before. I am now moving to Docker to replace LXC as I build my new Centos 7 workstation. These new container technologies are taking off, and they are actually fairly simple. I would say spending time on understanding Container Tech. would be much better use of time than trying to fight systemd. I have plans to create entire test networks in Docker containers. You might find this helpful for testing as well.

Not all of us are as savvy as Steve Litt and he probably runs into more issues with systemd due to the complex systems he runs into, but I have literally not had a single problem with systemd other than me not liking it and struggling to figure out what I need to do to get it to do what used to be easier for me. It is starting to get easier for me now.
John Vaughters