[TriLUG] Locked Out Linux box (Denouement)

John Vaughters via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Oct 26 14:21:29 EDT 2017

 >And here's the "cheaty" way to learn and set up runit...

Steve,

All great advice, I am looking forward to getting this in my tool box, because I have a real need for embedded device service control that I have control over without having to learn and write dbus in my software. A second plus is that it is a console based tool, since most of my services are console programs that I run with nohup. I just haven't built my skill on the daemon technique even though it really is not a big deal, just never put the time in. I would rather put the time in to learn runit. Right now I create custom start/stop/restart scripts and create watchdogs to manage the software running. PID tracking being a common method. If I can get a good utility that is well tested, it will reduce my service handling work as well as improve reliability.

Thanks again for the tips.
John Vaughters