[TriLUG] Best NTP client?

Brian via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Nov 11 18:19:19 EST 2017

Hi Folks,

I've got a laptop that I routinely boot with either Windows 10 or Debian
8.9 (Jessie).  Trouble is I can't get them both to agree on what the
system clock is (UTC or local), so every time I switch OSes, the clock
goes wonky.

Windows handles NTP sort of automagically, but that doesn't seem to be
the case on my Jessie system.  So, I'm trying to figure out the best NTP
client to use.

I poked around with chronyd, but it doesn't seem to be geared toward
systems with inconsistent internet connections (e.g. it seems to require
user intervention to get going again if servers can't be reached during
boot).

What do folks recommend?  I really just want something I don't need to
think about----it should always run, and just update the clock whenever
an internet connection is available.

Thanks,
-Brian