[TriLUG] What would you do?

Wes Garrison via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Nov 18 10:38:46 EST 2017

I would recommend Ubuntu over Mint, but using either the Mate desktop (for
speed and familiarity to Windows users) or Cinnamon desktop (for modern
OSX-like beauty)

The consensus with Mint is that it seems to hybridize Debian and Unbuntu in
a way that is not always stable, using packages from Debian unstable (Sid).

People like Mint because it ships with almost any software that you could
want, licensing concerns be damned.  It was actually nice for a novice
because you don't have to futz around for days trying to figure out how to
get video files to play.

I think Ubuntu has mostly taken care of that concern nowadays, and includes
great audio and video players based on libav or ffmpeg out of the box.

The other reason people like Mint are for the excellent Mate (Gnome 2
based) and Cinnamon (Gnome 3 based) desktops, but those have been available
in Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Arch, etc. for years now.

We run Debian in the office, but with the Mate desktop from Mint, and even
new employees have picked it up without any training at all.

The one major oversight in Mate, unless I'm missing something, is that they
don't seem to include a GUI printer config utility.  Maybe cool people
don't print anymore?  You'll need to add the system-config-printer package.

Wesley S. Garrison
Network Engineer
Xitech Communications, Inc.
phone:  (919) 260-0803
fax:       (919) 932-5051
"Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from email."