[TriLUG] Debian Upgrade

Brian Grawburg via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Nov 30 07:45:42 EST 2017

I'm ready to upgrade my system to Debian 9.2.1 and would like some guidance.

I know that simply installing over the existing system is a bad idea and so I must wipe my HDD clean and start fresh. It's all my data that I hate trying to figure out how to keep and restore. Although I do backup important stuff there is lots of material I'd hate to loose but wouldn't jump off of the building if I lost it. One thought is to put in a temporary slave unit and transfer everything to it then move it back when I've got the new OS installed.

Oh, I'm thinking of putting Debian 9.0 Cinnamon (32-bit) on a PC for a non-Linux user here were I work instead of the full Debian 9. Good idea?

Thanks,

Brian Grawburg

Wilson

Sent from a PC running Debian 7, 64-bit Linux and LibreOffice. (No one needs to use MS Office!)