[TriLUG] 1-day highschool workshop ideas

Hrivnak, Michael via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Dec 5 11:00:30 EST 2017

I'm working on ideas for a 1-day workshop targeting high school students
who are generally interested in exposure to the tech industry, but do not
necessarily have much background. Ideally by the end of the workshop, they
have accomplished something tangible. The intent is not to provide
training, but to get them exposed to different types of tech and interested
in potentially pursuing a career. Exposure to linux seems like a good thing
to provide, but I'm fuzzy on the details. Have some ideas?

One idea I'm considering is to have them deploy something in a VPS. We
would introduce them to the idea of linux, introduce them to bash, get each
student logged into their own VPS, then <insert something interesting
here>. I'm not sure about the last part. Deploy a web app of some kind?
What would be interesting, fun, and potentially customizable? Ideally it
would be something they can show their family and friends afterward (we'd
leave their VPS running for up to a few weeks perhaps). One aspect of this
that I like is the opportunity to demystify some of how the internet works.
It puts them in charge of a server that is their own, where they can see
the role it plays in providing some service.

Maybe you have another idea? Is there something with desktop linux they
could do that would feel like an accomplishment?

Thanks,
Michael