[TriLUG] 1-day highschool workshop ideas

Thomas V Thomas via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Dec 5 13:01:20 EST 2017

Hi Michael,

You may be able to setup a free compute engine on Google Cloud Platform
(credit card may be required for initial setup)

https://cloud.google.com/free/docs/frequently-asked-questions
https://cloud.google.com/free/docs/always-free-usage-limits

Google Compute Engine - Always Free Tier:
1 f1-micro instance per month (US regions only - Excluding Northern
Virginia)
30 GB-months HDD, 5 GB-months snapshot
1 GB network egress from North America to all region destinations per month
(excluding China and Australia)

There may also be other services providing free limited VPS or Cloud
hosting services.

Below are few links which may be of interest to students,

Setup LAMP stack (maybe short introduction to OS, Webserver, PHP &
Databases):
https://cloud.google.com/community/tutorials/setting-up-lamp

Install Joomla
https://cloud.google.com/community/tutorials/joomla-on-compute-engine

Joomla Tutorials
https://docs.joomla.org/Tutorials:Beginners

Install Wordpress eg:
http://jonnyreeves.co.uk/2016/wordpress-on-a-google-compute-engine-f1-micro/

Or Setup a VPN server:
https://www.linode.com/docs/networking/vpn/set-up-a-hardened-openvpn-server/

Or Install Docker for an introduction to containers

There are few other software solutions available via
https://cloud.google.com/launcher/

Google free compute tier may be too small to run multiple software
packages. So some installed services may need to be shutdown if trying out
multiple packages.

Regards,
Thomas