[TriLUG] OT: the difference between web bulb and dew point temperatures

Matt Flyer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Dec 21 14:12:40 EST 2017

I am not entirely certain what it is you're asking, but I will try to
answer based on what I think you're asking.

As you know, the dry bulb is what we think of in terms of the
temperature.  It reflects mostly sensible (dry) heat.  The wet bulb
temperature takes into account the effect of evaporative cooling and it
and is a measure of how much moisture is in the air as latent heat.  As
the wet bulb goes up for a particular dry bulb, there is more moisture
in the air.  If you have a day with the same dry bulb temperature, but
a higher wet bulb temperature it will feel much more humid.  Perceived
comfort and AC loads are pretty much direct functions of wet bulb
rather than dry bulb.

As I mentioned above, there are two forms of heat energy, sensible and
latent.  The latent heat is the amount of energy required to make the
state transition change from liquid to vapor.  The wet bulb temperature
takes this into account.  Take for example a cooling tower.  Water is
sprayed and run down a surface with counter flowing air.  Some of the
water evaporates which removes heat from the water.  The wet bulb
temperature is the asymptote that you can approach by the evaporative
cooling.

The dew point or saturation point is the temperature at which the air
will saturate and it can no longer hold any more moisture.  When the
air is completely saturated, 100% relative humidity the wet bulb and
the dew point are equal.

Obviously the dew point stops at 32F as below that water will freeze.

I hope that helps, and if not, I will try to clarify.