[TriLUG] Intel bug in the news today

David Burton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jan 3 13:54:56 EST 2018

I think "net neutrality" is a great big nothingburger. Net neutrality
regulations are a solution in search of a problem. The only example of a
real, relevant problem addressed by net neutrality regs was many years ago
when some ISPs tried to coerce their customers into using their own VoIP
products instead of Vonage etc.

Don't get me wrong. Like every red-blooded American I detest TWC/Spectrum
and AT&T, for their insatiable price-gouging, and their complete disdain
for customers' needs.

Why do they have no interest at all in proactively detecting and correcting
customers' connectivity problems? It's not like they can't detect dropped
packets from their end!

And what kind of company *forbids their tech support reps from having
access to email,* fer cryin out loud??? *Spectrum*, that's what kind.

But I don't think the presence or absence of net neutrality regs will make
any noticeable difference.

Now let's talk about a possible* real *problem. Does anyone know anything
about the big Intel bug in the news today is? Breathless headlines say the
fix could slow some workloads by up to 30%:

   -
   https://www.pcmag.com/news/358249/intel-chips-have-a-major-design-flaw-and-the-fix-means-slowe
   -
   https://hothardware.com/news/intel-cpu-bug-kernel-memory-isolation-linux-windows-macos