[TriLUG] Intel bug in the news today

bak via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jan 3 14:35:39 EST 2018

> On Jan 3, 2018, at 11:54, David Burton via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
>
> I think "net neutrality" is a great big nothingburger. Net neutrality
> regulations are a solution in search of a problem. The only example of a
> real, relevant problem addressed by net neutrality regs was many years ago
> when some ISPs tried to coerce their customers into using their own VoIP
> products instead of Vonage etc.
>
> Dave

For a nice overview of a dozen or so ISP-related shenanigans that Net Neutrality put a stop to, from the mid-2000s until implementation, may I refer you to:

https://www.savetheinternet.com/blog/2017/04/25/net-neutrality-violations-brief-history <https://www.savetheinternet.com/blog/2017/04/25/net-neutrality-violations-brief-history>

I love the first line:

> For years a lineup of phone- and cable-industry spokespeople has called Net Neutrality “a solution in search of a problem.”

You cannot leave bad actors unregulated or they will strive mightily for regulatory capture (as we’ve seen with the anti-muni-broadband legislation) and rent-seeking (as we see with net neutrality). They will do their absolute best to pass their externalities on to you and society at large to increase their profit margin, because both of these things are vastly cheaper than being forced to (gasp!) compete.

—bak