[TriLUG] Intel bug in the news today

Matt Flyer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jan 4 08:09:32 EST 2018

Back in the late 90's I was working on a masters in computer
engineering.  They put a lot of emphasis on a technique called "score
boarding" that would look forward into the execution path and determine
if there were dependencies - either code or data and rearrange
execution of non dependent items to fill bubbles in the pipeline
process.  For example, if it had to do a multiply operation that would
take 3 micro-clock cycles it would pull non dependent opcodes into the
processor registers and fill the gaps.

It sounds like the technique has advanced to where it attempts to guess
at the dependency value and unwind the operation when it gets it wrong
as a means of getting more ergs out of this type of process.
Unfortunately, it looks like there is a fundamental design flaw that
all the manufacturers adopted.