[TriLUG] Intel bug in the news today

David Burton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jan 4 17:25:28 EST 2018

Matt, it appears that this *problem* only affects Intel CPUs.

I hope that is true of the *fix*, as well. It seems possible that a
workaround to solve this problem on Intel CPUs *could* clobber performance
on both Intel and AMD CPUs.

Probably not. If the performance hit is as big as they're saying, I would
hope that fix implementers would write in processor-specific checks to
ensure that AMD CPUs (and the newest Intel CPUs) aren't impacted.

Here's a statement from Lenovo:
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/len-18282

And please accept my apology for mixing two topics in the same email, and
thus making a hash of this thread.  😞

Dave