[TriLUG] linux mail servers, RBLs, relays, etc.

ac via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jan 11 01:03:20 EST 2018

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 12:53:18 -0500 (EST)
Dewey Hylton via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> I manage multiple linux-based mail servers for different customers.
> Most run Zimbra, but some are running opensmtpd (which I am liking
> more and more as time wears on). The problem I am running into is
> with the various RBLs ... and not my usage of them, either. Lots of
> folks out there leverage the RBLs to determine from what addresses
> they will accept smtp connections. In more than one instance now I
> have found outbound mail being blocked due to inclusion in one or
> more RBL. The pesky part of this is that the RBL listed an entire
> network based on one or more addresses which are not mine. So I'm
> being blocked thanks to someone with a similar address. Which means
> I'm being blocked for no fault of my own. Folks like Spamhaus are
> basically unresponsive (and when they respond they are unapologetic).

As you are not giving an example of an IP number I am assuming that
the actual IP resource is not allocated to yourself and you are "renting" the resource?

This sounds a lot like it is your resource owners problem and not yours?
but it is all guessing and speculation as you do not supply the actual
ip number... with that we can all check the ip reputation and some of
us with more access (and data) can maybe even see more.

It will help if you also supply an example of a public IP number?

> I have moved networks multiple times in order to get around this. And
> that does work - at least for a time. But it is a huge pain in the
> backside. So now I'm thinking about changing tactics.

to me, this now sounds like it is a "you" (or your client) problem...

sounds like each time you move you are running into issues?

maybe the problem is you after all :)

> I have considered spinning up a low cost vm and running my own relay
> (most likely opensmtpd), as moving THAT around would be a LOT easier
> than moving an entire zimbra instance in some cases.
>
> I have also considered a commercial solution. I know that companies
> provide mail relays as a service, and I'm hoping I can find one which
> protects their reputation enough that they stay off the RBLs. Can
> anyone here make a recommendation for one or more of these services?
>
> Or is there perhaps a better way to tackle this?

figure out what the issue is and fix that?

hth

Andre