[TriLUG] linux mail servers, RBLs, relays, etc.

ac via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jan 11 00:39:18 EST 2018

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 22:50:44 +0000
David Brain via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
> Mailgun is relay as a service option - not used it other than for
> home use (have a free test account as my network relay) but seems
> like a good service.

mailgun is not that responsive to abuse complaints and is frequently
listed (and then de listed) from all sorts of RBLs same with sendgrid and
even public esp's like outlook.com

> Note that a commodity cloud IP tends to have a lower 'reputation'
> spam wise anyway for spam filters so that could be an issue (and who
> knows what your 'neighbors' are up too).

very few (if any) RBL's simply list /24 /16 or /8 - unless the range is
rogue, jacked or high change volume vps's which change renters
every 5 minutes...

imho right now the fastest responders to abuse complaints are yahoo.com
& google.com the esp's that are responsive and quick to stop abuse outbreaks
are far and few between. more so if it is target or spear phish, or lower volume
criminal activity.

Because google weeds out even criminal activity, I would
recommend using google to relay your email, if you want it delivered
each time, on time and to main inbox. - other than that - setup your
own sending smtp server using an ISP with a good abuse management
reputation (even check the ip before using it?)

2c

Andre