[TriLUG] Linux Repair Service

David Burton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jan 11 12:35:39 EST 2018

Easiest way to tell whether it is hardware or software is to:

*step #1:*  boot a "live" Linux distro from CD or USB thumbdrive.
https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/try-ubuntu-before-you-install
If that fails, it's probably hardware.
But if it works okay then the problem is presumably either software or else
the one piece of hardware that the live distro doesn't use: the hard disk
drive or SSD. So proceed to step 2:

*step #2:* if the "live" distro works okay then check the hard disk drive
health:
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+check+the+hdd+SMART+status+in+Ubuntu
If the HDD or SSD is healthy, the problem is presumably software.