[TriLUG] Linux Repair Service

John Vaughters via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Jan 12 09:46:47 EST 2018

 To expand David's idea of using a usb live distribution. Consider buying another hard drive and swaping it out and loading it with the same Linux distribution that you currently have. If it works fine, then it is the hard drive. In my experience, laptops are notorious for hard drive failure that shows up in wonky user experiences. David's idea to check hard drive health is a good one, but not all bad hard drives show bad health. If it does show bad health, then clearly that is the issue. However, on more rare occasions, there are other hardware issues, for instance one laptop I still use lightly crashes on windows or linux and hard drive swaps do not change that situation. So something else is causing the issue and because it's old, I do not bother to troubleshoot further, a reboot fixes it for a while, and then a reboot fixes it for a while and then well you get it `,~)
John Vaughters