[TriLUG] OT: remote controlled antenna rotator

Tadd Torborg via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jan 16 10:56:09 EST 2018

Ron,
  I expect the $30 everything included antenna system will work, especially if you only put it in the attic.

However… back to making projects.

I would trade equipment for coding labor if you are interested.
I have two pair of identical TV rotors.  There are two models, but two of each.
I even have the control boxes for one pair.

I would pay for parts for one working home-brew control box if you would build two, one for you, one for me.  I would donate one set of rotor equipment to you for the project and you build a control box for my duplicate set??

Actually I have 5 rotators but one of them is really huge.

There is some possibilities that the rotors won’t turn due to age and lack of use but I’m pretty sure the set with the control boxes do work and turn.  Somebody borrowed them from me in 2017 for ham radio field day and returned them with good results.

You would certainly become an expert at rotators when this is done!

I have some clue about rotor designs having participated in such a project many buffalo ago.   From what I know there are two common architectures.
One architecture has a potentiometer which inserts a variable resistance depending on the position of the rotor.  The control box reads the angle by testing the voltage output from the return wire.  An additional resistor and a load (3.3v?) is required to read the resistance to an AtoD converter.
One architecture has a pair of return wires where one of the lines intermittently closes to ground (pulse-type) every couple of degrees as the rotor turns counterclockwise.  The other line intermittently closes to ground every couple of degrees as the rotor turns clockwise.
Generally speaking, but not absolutely, the pulse-type rotor would have a control box which has a solenoid clacking every 2 degrees to push a pointer around in a circle.  The other kind has a motor which moves the pointer around in a circle, or it has a meter which shows the rotor position.  The meter movement units are usually more expensive and higher load.

The first ideal output from this project would be to take the older pair of rotors I have, which do not have mated control boxes, and create a new control box for each of those.
The second ideal output would be to create an azimuth-elevation pair of control boxes which would take serial input from a PC (or Raspberry PI) and would keep an antenna pointed up at the sky to track a fast moving low-earth-orbit satellite or space station.  This would be used for doing two-way communication via the satellite or space station.

Do you have that maker itch?
BTW, if you are in doubt about having a small computer handling the signaling required, I’m pretty good at that kind of stuff.  I also like doing firmware projects like this but I’m in too deep in a couple of other hobby projects.  I’ve wanted to do this for years and I keep getting distracted!

My other hobbies include teaching a once a month course to new “ham” Amateur Radio operators, and building and promoting a long distance (multiple counties) digital radio network using surplus 2-way-radio gear, licensed as ham radio equipment.

   Tadd

Tadd / KA2DEW
tadd at mac.com
Raleigh NC  FM05pv