[TriLUG] Tomorrow 3/22 Kubernetes meetup : BitSight Technologies

Alan Porter via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Mar 21 10:33:12 EDT 2018

KUBERNETES

Back in July, Michael Hrivnak exposed us to Kubernetes, a container
orchestration system originally developed by Google, and now widely
used to manage applications that run on clusters of servers.

    July 2017 TriLUG talk
    "Multi-Service Applications in Kubernetes"
    https://trilug.org/2017-07-13/kubernetes-apps

BITSIGHT TECHNOLOGIES

My company, BitSight Technologies, was just getting into Kubernetes
at the time, and within a few months, we had migrated one of our
oldest legacy apps from running on a single chef-managed server in
AWS EC2 to now run in a Kubernetes cluster.

We developers like this as it lets us spin up a transient environment
that is "just like" production in just a few minutes.  That little
dev sandbox will have a complete view of the huge production database,
without wasting storage space on a second copy and without waiting
for a copy to be made (it uses a copy-on-write snapshot).  Spinning
up a new server is as cheap and easy as spinning up a branch in git.

The DevOps guys like it because it's easier for them to make our
deployments repeatable and understandable, and it isolates each app's
dependencies in their own container.

With the successful transition of our first legacy app to Kubernetes,
we are now moving the rest of our web apps and microservices to the
same system.

Read more about BitSight and the work that we're doing (and jobs) here:
https://venturefizz.com/blog/bitsight-technologies-engineering-spotlight-cambridge-ma

MEETUP - THURSDAY NIGHT

There's a local Kubernetes meetup group, and this month, BitSight's
DevOps team will be presenting on how we migrated from AWS EC2 to
Kubernetes.

    Thursday, March 22, 6:30 PM to 9:00 PM
    Red Hat Annex - 190 E Davie Street Raleigh NC 27601
    https://www.meetup.com/Triangle-Kubernetes-Meetup/events/248158120/

Come by and check out how this open source system has totally changed
our development process and our live production systems.

Alan