[TriLUG] bulk email - gmail

ac via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Mar 28 01:58:37 EDT 2018

On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 05:45:10 +0000
Jeremy Davis <jeremyhwllc at gmail.com> wrote:
> well in my case we were trying to send association material to
> members. I helped them transition from a proprietary platform to
> WordPress. We uploaded the existing list of members into mailchimp
> however the list was shut down until all the flagged emails were
> scrubbed from the list. So mailchimp was preventing spam I guess but

this is also evil.

mailchimp maintaining a "list" of spamtraps/servers/honeypots/honeynets
and avoiding those spamtraps are "old news" - there are new anti abuse
tech.processes and systems which are used very effectively to combat
mailchimp and other spam enabling orgs, quite effectively...

> it was brutal work trying to get the list working, which people had
> subscribed to on the other platform. People were not getting event
> notifications etc... it was stressful from the event organizer
> standpoint..

yes, you/org should have verified data, maybe sent a 'confirm subscription'  etc etc.

when you boil it right down - there are far less people that actually
want to receive certain things regularly and to "force" them to receive
anything is fairly "scummy"

> I dont endorse mailchimp but in this case they were sort of
> preventing us from spamming (seemingly noble)... however yes it is
> the prying of our members info in return for free service that their
> greater evil lurks. So yup.. We know the stuff is evil but often
> agree to it all because better options are not apparent at that point
> in time.

and yes, this is also evil.

lots of downside as the pumping and dumping, one way corporate @noreply
and all the other crap is becoming expensive and more difficult to get
to main inbox with each passing day.

companies do not want to spend actual time (money) on real
communications when it is so easy to simply blast out whatever crap
they want to.

> TriLUG does a great job keeping up with Mailman.. and the server etc..
> kudos to Alan Porter the Steering Committee and whoever has helped
> out.

yes, this is something completely different though, but yes, +1 for this :)

Andre