[TriLUG] Preview of new TriLUG website

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Apr 9 17:33:36 EDT 2018

On Mon, 9 Apr 2018 13:04:11 -0400
Aaron Schrab via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> The steering committee is looking to replace the current,
> Drupal-based TriLUG website with one built using Jekyll in order to
> simplify the maintenance of our server.
>
> A preview of the new site can be seen at http://test.trilug.org/
>
> If you have any feedback on this site please let us know, either by
> replying here or to steering@ .

Nice. Good looking, responsive (very shrinkable), simple.

If you want it to be read comfortably by people with bad vision, a few
changes would be good:

1) You hard code a font size, overriding the settings the reader has
   set for his browser to match his visual acuity. The font is a little
   small. I will say this though: The font is so sharp it looks like it
   was etched with a diamond cutter,  and that *does* to an extent help
   readability.

2) Too little contrast between darkgray foreground text and lightgray
   background. If you want this easily read by people with poor visual
   acuity, I'd recommend making the text #000000 and the background a
   fair amount lighter. I understand some people find a white
   background offensive, but at least make it lighter.

3) The top menu has a serious contrast problem. Its normal color should
   be its current hover color, and its new hover color should be either
   a real color (perhaps yellow) or reverse video. I think both these
   things are pretty easy to do.

This isn't some snowflake griping about aesthetics. This determines how
long people with bad vision will spend with the site before visual
fatigue makes them go elsewhere.

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2018 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist