[TriLUG] Meeting: April 12: Log Aggregation and Infrastructure Metrics with the Elastic Stack

Mauricio Tavares via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Apr 12 13:58:19 EDT 2018

Topic:
Log Aggregation and Infrastructure Metrics with the Elastic Stack
Presenter:
Jeff Spahr, Bandwidth, Inc.
When:
Thursday, 12 April 2018 - 6:45pm to 9:00pm
Where:
NCSU College of Textiles, 1020 Main Campus Dr., Room 2207
Parking:
Underground parking deck immediately adjacent to the building (see map).

Please note that since we're back on the NCSU campus, we need to start
the pizza early so we don't have any food or drink in the meeting room.
Munchies start at 6:45!

Links:
    Map:    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1UrgaJS-tvi3X26JL_sed9V9cgoA
    Page:   https://trilug.org/2018-04-12/metrics-with-elastic-stack
    Meetup: https://www.meetup.com/trilug/events/249107389/

Summary
The Elastic Stack is the rebranded ELK stack. It has Elasticsearch at
its core for the data store and search engine. Beats are used as data
shippers which includes Filebeat, Metricbeat, Packetbeat, and others.
Logstash can be used at the edge for things like listening to syslog
and for manipulating data prior to ingesting it in Elasticsearch.
Kibana is the visualization layer which includes the ability to view
logs, create time series graphs, heatmaps, geolocation maps, and many
more visualization types. X-Pack includes some free and some
commercial add ons to solve RBAC, alerting, machine learning, cluster
monitoring, and more. All these pieces provide a powerful ecosystem
for monitoring a production environment, quickly finding the root
cause for performance issues, and for searching logs across your
infrastructure.

Bio
Jeff Spahr is the Systems Infrastructure Architect at Bandwidth. He's
been using the Elastic Stack for about a year for centralized logging,
DNS metrics, and system metrics for linux servers and Kubernetes
clusters.