[TriLUG] What Do People Use to Debug C++ on RHEL 7?

Scott Chilcote via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Apr 12 15:30:08 EDT 2018

Hi LUGgers,

I'm attempting to use gdb to analyze how a large-ish open software
project loads and processes a specific kind of data file.

I haven't worked with C++ in some years, and am using a fresh VM install
of RHEL 7.  I have have added the EPEL repo, but am finding a dearth of
graphical front ends or possibly IDEs to make operating gdb a little easier.

I used to enjoy DDD, but it appears to have fallen down the pit of
neglect.  I was able to install it from EPEL, but gdb continually hangs
when I attempt to open a debugging session.  It displays an hourglass
cursor until I give up and quit, at which point it displays a box to
inform me that gdb is still busy (quit anyway?).

There's almost no useful advice regarding this problem that I've been
able to find, other than to delete the ~/.ddd preferences directory.  I
tried that, and it only prevents the initial session from hanging.  As
soon as I attempt to debug an executable, it hangs.

None of this happens when I use gdb on the command line.  I haven't
completely ruled this out as an option, but it makes hunting through
multiple source files, setting up watches and breakpoints slower and
more error prone.  YMMV.

So far I have been able to install and try CGDB, "gdb -tui", and gdbgui
(browser based), but these all seem to be a good step backwards from DDD
in terms of features and ease of use.  Given how long it's been I'd
hoped to find something more advanced, not less.

I switched to IDEs from there, with some trepidations considering how
much cruft they bring along.  Anjuta is in the software "store", so I
tried installing that.  It fails over dependency issues in three
different libraries.  Neither netbeans nor eclipse are available, unless
I build them from source.

I started having second thoughts at this point.  Am I overlooking
something that should be obvious?

Perhaps the main issue is that I'm using RHEL instead of Fedora.  That
might be, but the work I'm doing may lead to a development project that
will have to build on RHEL.

Does anyone have some good advice here, other than to start learning
EMACS...?

  Scott C.

--
Scott Chilcote