[TriLUG] older modems/routers

Huan Truong via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri May 4 18:57:30 EDT 2018

For anyone who is interested to learn about embedded Linux, this might
be a great opportunity to learn.

Many routers that have more than 4MB of Flash can generally run
OpenWRT (formerly LEDE), and figuring out how is a great venture. I
used to port OpenWRT to one of the old routers a year ago and sent my
discovery to Hackaday [1]. It was very fun.

First, you have nothing to lose even if you brick them. Second, if you
care to back up the Flash chip (they often use the Winbond chips which
are really easy to interface with using a Pi), it's impossible to
brick those things. I have one or two spare SOIC clip that I can give
to someone who wants one.

1: https://hackaday.com/2016/12/16/haun-liberates-a-router/

<trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
> depending on the vintage....
>
> I knew a bicycle shop owner who would de-solder the toggle switches on older
> modems and splice them into bicycle headlight systems for high/low beam
> applications.
>
> William Sutton
>
> On Fri, 4 May 2018, mver via TriLUG wrote:
>
>> I have a bunch (6-10?) modems and routers dating from the dark ages to a
>> couple of years ago.
>>
>> Is anyone interested?  Else they go to electronic recycling.
>>
>> Delivery at 10 May Meeting?
>>
>> --
>> Please "trim the tail" from a reply so that messages do not become super
>> long.
>> Leave only what is required for context.
>> --
>>
>> --
>> This message was sent to: William <william at trilug.org>

> This message was sent to: Huan Truong <webreg at tnhh.net>