[TriLUG] Speaking of Technology

Eric Blau via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu May 10 15:23:34 EDT 2018

 Thu, May 10, 2018 at 2:30 PM Brian McCullough via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org>
wrote:

> Something that I have been wondering about for some time ( years? ) is
> the "proper" method for resuming use of a Linux laptop that has
> suspended ( hibernated? ).
>
> I have never really tried to find a solution to this, just given up and
> shut off the power and restarted.

I use "systemctl suspend" and "systemctl hibernate". This should work on
any systemd-based distribution. For hibernate, I had to add a
"resume=<swap_partition>" line to my kernel boot line pointing to my swap
partition where the suspended memory image is saved, but suspend should
work without any special changes.

I do have to say that hibernate is frequently broken for me on my laptop
with Intel graphics up until recently but has been working nicely on the
4.16.x kernel series.

Regards,
Eric