[TriLUG] Speaking of Technology

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu May 10 15:24:26 EDT 2018

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 07:23:34PM +0000, Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list wrote:
>  Thu, May 10, 2018 at 2:30 PM Brian McCullough via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Something that I have been wondering about for some time ( years? ) is
> > the "proper" method for resuming use of a Linux laptop that has
> > suspended ( hibernated? ).
> >
> > I have never really tried to find a solution to this, just given up and
> > shut off the power and restarted.
>

> I use "systemctl suspend" and "systemctl hibernate". This should work on
> any systemd-based distribution. For hibernate, I had to add a
> "resume=<swap_partition>" line to my kernel boot line pointing to my swap
> partition where the suspended memory image is saved, but suspend should
> work without any special changes.

OK, perhaps.

Are these tied to something in /etc/init or somewhere else?  Obviously,
this is not "by default" where closing the lid just does something by
magic.

I find that my machine does seem to be in some kind of "not off" state
when it has done this, but I do not seem to have any way of coming back
from that not off state.

Brian