[TriLUG] Speaking of Technology

Huan Truong via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu May 10 15:51:07 EDT 2018

Suspending: All my laptops have been hibernating well since 2015. The
Chromebook series is awesome, suspending has never failed.
Suspending/resuming on Chromebooks is extremely stable and fast. They
are made to run Linux well and all patches are upstream. If anyone is
interested in using a Chromebook as a Linux machine, mrchromebox.tech
and /r/chrultrabook is a great resource.

Hibernating: I find it odd that the swap partition is used for the
hibernate file, I don't even see the option to hibernate when my swap
< RAM. As Redhat suggested recently, there is no inherent reason for
the swap partition to be even as big as RAM. I have a 128GB SSD and
8GB RAM, dedicating 8GB+ for swap is quite silly, given the chances I
needed swap are exceedingly rare. That bugs me a bit, why can't the
hibernate file be a standalone file?

All in all, even when the battery is at 5%, it took a good day for the
suspend to completely die, so not being able to hibernate doesn't bug
me.