[TriLUG] Speaking of Technology

Eric Blau via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu May 10 15:56:18 EDT 2018

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 3:27 PM Brian McCullough via TriLUG <
trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 07:23:34PM +0000, Triangle Linux Users Group
> discussion list wrote:
> >  Thu, May 10, 2018 at 2:30 PM Brian McCullough via TriLUG <
> trilug at trilug.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > I use "systemctl suspend" and "systemctl hibernate". This should work on
> > any systemd-based distribution. For hibernate, I had to add a
> > "resume=<swap_partition>" line to my kernel boot line pointing to my swap
> > partition where the suspended memory image is saved, but suspend should
> > work without any special changes.
>
> OK, perhaps.
>
> Are these tied to something in /etc/init or somewhere else?  Obviously,
> this is not "by default" where closing the lid just does something by
> magic.
>
> I find that my machine does seem to be in some kind of "not off" state
> when it has done this, but I do not seem to have any way of coming back
> from that not off state.

Yes, it is tied in with systemd.

I think the default behavior for systemd on Ubuntu 16.04 is to suspend on
lid close. Do you get the same behavior if you run "systemctl suspend"
yourself as you do when closing your laptop lid?

You can modify /etc/systemd/logind.conf and add:

HandleLidSwitch=ignore
HandleLidSwitchExternalPower=ignore

and then nothing will happen when you close your laptop lid. I personally
prefer to suspend / hibernate manually by running commands like this.

Regards,
Eric