[TriLUG] Speaking of Technology

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri May 11 17:09:21 EDT 2018

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 07:23:34PM +0000, Eric Blau wrote:
>  Thu, May 10, 2018 at 2:30 PM Brian McCullough via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Something that I have been wondering about for some time ( years? ) is
> > the "proper" method for resuming use of a Linux laptop that has
> > suspended ( hibernated? ).
> >
> > I have never really tried to find a solution to this, just given up and
> > shut off the power and restarted.
>

> I use "systemctl suspend" and "systemctl hibernate". This should work on
> any systemd-based distribution. For hibernate, I had to add a
> "resume=<swap_partition>" line to my kernel boot line pointing to my swap
> partition where the suspended memory image is saved, but suspend should
> work without any special changes.

News report:

I went to a machine other than the one that I originally had in mind
when I asked the question, which, aside from hardware, should be almost
identical to it.  Both are Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS.  The original has
whole-disk encryption, however.

OK, so I entered "systemctl suspend" and the machine was OFF!  No delays
or anything.  I then closed the lid for about 10 seconds, and upon
reopening it, the machine was on and completely workable.  I was
impressed.

I then tried a different test, before sending this message, and had to
re-do this message from scratch.

I just closed the lid.  At that point, everything seemed the same, but
upon reopening the lid, the mouse pointer was tracking around the
screen, but nothing else was working, and I had to power off.

There is obviously something DIFFERENT about lid closing as opposed to
"systemctl suspend."

I might just make myself either a BASH alias or a simple command in my
bin directory, that will issue the "systemctl suspend," and not worry
about what I might do with the lid.

On the other hand, I sometimes like to leave the machine plugged in to
both power and Ethernet, and drive it remotely, something like Dr.
Jasper's Raspberry Pi last night.  Something like a "don't suspend"
mode.

Thank you all for the thoughts.

Brian