[TriLUG] Slightly OT: network switch question

Wes Garrison via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed May 16 13:09:01 EDT 2018

Joe,

Can you explain what you mean by "re-inserted"?

Re-inserted into what?

If you mean "punched down", you certainly need to re-strip and re-punch the
solid core cable further down, discarding the previously punched-down ends.

You aren't supposed to punch down stranded cable, as the IDC (Insulation
Displacement) cuts through the strands of the wires.  It will "work", but
it's not a good idea.

You *can, *however crimp an 8P8C connector onto both solid and stranded
cable, provided you use the correct connector for the application.

An 8P8C connector for solid cable has 3 "fingers" that displace the
insulation on the cable when crimped, so that the outer two fingers are on
one side of the conductor and the middle finger is on the other.

Here is a picture of the middle finger
<https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1061/1924/products/Middle_Finger_Emoji_894a7ecd-277f-479e-9967-44d20813a2d6_large.png>

Here's a better pic
<https://sc02.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1QAJoXY9YBuNjy0Fgq6AxcXXa2/cat-7-rj45-connector-RJ45-shielded-modular.jpg>

An 8P8C connector for stranded crimping often has only 2 fingers and can
penetrate the insulation of the conductor directly instead of using
insulation displacement on the sides of the conductor.

-Wes

Wesley S. Garrison
Network Engineer
Xitech Communications, Inc.
phone:  (919) 260-0803
fax:       (919) 932-5051
"Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from email."