[TriLUG] Slightly OT: network switch question

Matt Flyer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed May 16 13:31:30 EDT 2018

On Wed, 2018-05-16 at 13:09 -0400, Wes Garrison via TriLUG wrote:
> Joe,
>
> Can you explain what you mean by "re-inserted"?
>
> Re-inserted into what?
>
> If you mean "punched down", you certainly need to re-strip and

(snip)

I mean depressed the locking lever on the Rj45 plug, pulled it free
from the jack of the surge suppressor that goes between the (building)
switch and the POE injector that then feeds the wireless modem /
bridge, and reinserted it into the jack.  This broke the signal
connection between the building switch and the modem but kept the modem
powered.

The Ethernet cable is exterior grade cable and goes to the modem which
is located outside on an antenna pole.  The connections are protected
with a cover with a gasket and rubber boots.  It was designed for
exterior operation.

It sounds like a failing cable is a possibility, but it is not
something that is physically easy to get to.