[TriLUG] Slightly OT: network switch question

Wes Garrison via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed May 16 13:59:14 EDT 2018

8P8C <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_connector#8P8C>= "8 Position, 8
Contact" (or 8 Conductor)

Most people call them RJ45, including me usually, but I was trying to be as
correct as possible on this list.

I agree that using stranded is best for crimping, but sometimes you need to
make a long run and solid cable is all you have, so it's good to have the
correct modular connector on hand in case you need it for solid cable.

Here are a few examples of modular ends specifically for solid cable:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005E2Y6BS/ (CAT 6)  if you zoom in, you can see
the alternating fingers
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008F533EC/ (CAT 5e)

This one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002J284K/ says it's for solid or
stranded, but I wouldn't trust it.  You can see it only has 2 prongs.

The middle finger emoji was just a smart-ass joke that I thought of as I
typed "here is a picture of the middle finger".  The alternating fingers in
the 2nd picture is the one I really wanted you to see.

As always, I learn new things in these discussions!

-Wes

Wesley S. Garrison
Network Engineer
Xitech Communications, Inc.
phone:  (919) 260-0803
fax:       (919) 932-5051
"Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from email."