[TriLUG] Slightly OT: network switch question

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed May 16 14:21:45 EDT 2018

On Wed, 16 May 2018, Wes Garrison wrote:

> I agree that using stranded is best for crimping, but sometimes you need to
> make a long run and solid cable is all you have, so it's good to have the
> correct modular connector on hand in case you need it for solid cable.

solid conductor is the default for long runs because of cost. You're not going
to be able to convince anyone otherwise. However the default termination for a
solid is a punch down block leading to a female RJ45 in a panel (like in a
concentrator room). A punch down block will make sure no-one ever puts an RJ45
on the end of it. You run multistranded from there to your computer. At least
that's how I do it. If they want anything different, I tell them "OK, but it's
on your head" and tell them why, including that I won't promise anything about
connectivity the day after installation (and I require it to be written into the
contract). Although they start out thinking they want solid all the way, because
cost is all they know about, I haven't had anyone insist after I tell them what
they're up for. They know I'm not getting any more money for the installation,
as the labour is the same no matter the cost of the cable, so they know I don't
have a conflict of interest as regards the price of the installation.

In prewired buildings with wall jacks already wired, solid seems to be OK.
No-one's going to be pulling the wall plates out to check the wiring and flexing
the solid wiring.

> The middle finger emoji was just a smart-ass joke that I thought of as I typed
> "here is a picture of the middle finger".

ah.

> The alternating fingers in the 2nd picture is the one I really wanted you to
> see.

thanks

Joe

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml