[TriLUG] OT: Windows Anti-Virus

Matt Flyer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jul 24 14:21:54 EDT 2018

I actually saw them on one of the top 10 the lists when I did some
Googling on the matter.  They jumped out at me because they weren't one
of the "usual suspects" that I mentioned in the initial post.

I assume by govt malware, you mean programs that make it easier to hack
into your machines and spy on you? Or did you mean something else?
 While my initial reaction would be to say, why would they ever care to
spy on me or my wife's business(*), it doesn't take a tin foil hat to
see that the surveillance apparatus in this country is out of control
and is a giant vacuum sucking up everything it can because it is a
paranoid beast. I've also read that the US govt has special love for
Kaspersky that comes from the crack of it's backside.

I actually seem some value in the the fact that Kaspersky is a non US
company and I don't think the Russians would have any interest in her
or me.  Well, OK, I know that some of my wife's pottery (her business)
is in Russia so maybe that's not completely true; some tourists bought
some soap dishes and other items from her.

* - Several years ago, my wife had a tie dye clothing business and she
started getting massive amounts of SPAM of Chinese origin.  I read
somewhere that they were intentionally doing this to any business that
they thought was a threat to their economic interests.  It was a real
pain to find ways to filter and reject it that mostly identified their
character sets and ultimately lead me to purchasing a subscription to
one of the more cutting edge RBLs.