[TriLUG] OT: Windows Anti-Virus

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jul 24 14:33:52 EDT 2018

On Tue, 24 Jul 2018, Matt Flyer via TriLUG wrote:

> I actually saw them on one of the top 10 the lists when I did some
> Googling on the matter.  They jumped out at me because they weren't one
> of the "usual suspects" that I mentioned in the initial post.
>
> I assume by govt malware, you mean programs that make it easier to hack
> into your machines and spy on you?

that's it.

When friends bring me laptops to fix up, I dd copy the disk and mess with the
copy. I throw everything on the internet at it. I find Malwarebytes and
Kaspersky the two that do the best job.

Till not too long ago, Kaspersky was one of the top "usual suspects" in
anti-virus/anti-spyware tools. The US govt is peeved that Kaspersky did a good
job in picking up malware recently and is now being a bully about it.

I can't think of a better recommendation for Kaspersky.

Joe
jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml