[TriLUG] High performance NFS server - which OS and RAID is best?

Wes Garrison via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Aug 20 20:34:48 EDT 2018

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 3:30 PM Mauricio Tavares via TriLUG <
trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> Based on last meeting's presentation, zfs on linux is mature

I've run ZFS on Debian for about 5 years, and it's been rock-solid.  I have
a 24-port RAID controller, but I just use it in "pass-through" mode with 8
3TB drives in Z2 configuration.

I started with 8 of the infamous Seagate ST3000DM001 drives, and all but 1
failed.  I replaced them with NAS edition drives, none of which have failed.

16GiB RAM may not be enough.  Go with 32GiB, especially with virtualization.