[TriLUG] ROI moving gov to Linux?

John Vaughters via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Sep 6 12:27:49 EDT 2018

>Because SQL Server is better than Oracle, DB2, and Sybase - that's why :)

That's a broad statement and it really depends on the application level performance needed. Different applications perform differently on each solution. Oracle in most situations is the the best performing. In many cases MariaDB (MySQL) is sufficient to replace MSSQL or Oracle unless specific features are needed. Typically tied to performance. We agree on the MSSQL integration. Alot of stuff just works and time is money too, so development costs can be leveraged with MSSQL and some Oracle solutions also have a development environment advantage. PostgreSQL is actually very good in many aspects, but seems to be highly used by educators and it is the most difficult to use for me, only because it is a strange beast compared to the others I am used to. So I agree it takes more specialization to use.

I would only choose MSSQL or Oracle as a last resort or required by a product. The development savings cost for MSSQL in most cases will be outlived in a long cycle product by reduced license costs. Both MSSQL and Oracle tend to kill you with licensing complication and also put you at risk of unexpected costs of audits because your application use increased and you did not realize you were violating license requirements. The hours spent alone to just plan on what you want to use for these two should be factored into a project.  They are that ridiculously complicated. Usually you will find a person that has put the hours in and can help you decide, or contact the sales rep, but don't expect the best cost solution from them. All of that is just stupid complicated. However, if you TRULY need that level of performance, then it is the best choice. It's just rare in most cases.

2 cents worth half a pence on a good day

John Vaughters