[TriLUG] ROI moving gov to Linux?

Ron Kelley via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Sep 7 14:48:36 EDT 2018

I’ll toss my $0.02 in here and circle back to the original intent of the thread...

Instead of trying to move the mountain (switch from Windows to Linux), perhaps a better approach is to switch the “desktop experience” to something like a Chromebook environment with web-based apps.  Many of the new young workers are accustomed to using tablets, phones, etc, so making the move to a browser-based environment won’t be an issue. And, it seems MS Office can be installed via the Google Play Store, thus the “old timers” still have access to the MS apps.

Even after the substantial govt discounts, 1000 chrome books probably cost significantly less that 1000 MS Windows desktops.

Once you get the desktop experience changed, you can slowly work on the back-end apps since many of them will be web-based by that time.  Plus, you can save a ton of money on hardware/software/license purchasing (not to mention potential better security).

Just a thought.

-Ron