[TriLUG] Router recommendations

Bill Weinel via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Oct 13 09:56:32 EDT 2018

On Saturday, October 13, 2018 9:44:43 AM EDT Nathan Yinger via TriLUG wrote:
> My old router bricked itself -  So now I
> need a new one.
>
> What I'm looking for:
> - Lasts longer than 3 years.
> - 4 gigabit ports is fine.
> - I only use wifi a little bit, so any kind of wifi will do.
> - Easy shell access would be nice.

I like the Ubiquiti Edgerouters. I have used them in both commercial
applications at work as well as home applications. They can be accessed via
either shell or GUI, per your preference.

I have had many running in commercial applications for close to 5 years. The
OS firmware is easily upgradeable, router setups are easily saved and restored,
and Ubiquiti has great support. If you have multiple units, they can also be
centrally managed. Best of all, they are inexpensive.

I have personally used ERLite-3s, ER-8s, and ER-8Pros. All seem to work well.

Cheers,
Bill