[TriLUG] Router recommendations

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Oct 13 10:15:52 EDT 2018

On Sat, 13 Oct 2018, Bill Weinel via TriLUG wrote:

>> - I only use wifi a little bit, so any kind of wifi will do.

It won't. You'll go crazy with a crappy wifi.

Many (most?) wifi boxes have crappy power supplies that cause the box to hang or
reboot on power line spikes or dropouts. I run all of mine on a UPS or have a
real power supply of double the amperage.

Also most of the waps I've dealt with drop packets, stalling a tcp transfer. I
have a bunch of standard commodity waps and ran ping tests. I found that most
dropped at least 1 ping packet in 10. The problem was with the waps and not the
wifi nics in my computers. The only ones I had that didn't drop packets were a
few Ciscos (not the Linksys ones with a Cisco badge).

Unfortunately the ones I had that didn't drop packets (eg the Ciscos) can't be
flashed with OpenWrt and you have to navigate the configuration via a web
browser, rather than the command line.

I suggest you get a good one. I don't have Ubiquitis but many people here seem
to like them.

Also make sure you have "a" as well as "g". I run "a" inside the house to avoid
collisions with all the machines around me running "g".

Joe
jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml