[TriLUG] Red Hat + IBM, good or bad?

John Vaughters via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Oct 30 16:15:57 EDT 2018

 ok, how about, "a dagger to the heart of DEC" which interestingly we took out about 20 DEC servers just 3 years ago after over 20 years service. Parts???? hahaha yea right!!! fortunately we were able to cannibalize systems as they fell out of service. They were using DEC UNIX not VAX. I did not administer the system, but it was actually computer malpractice to keep those so long, but the application was so benign it really didn't matter. Just a grey box in the corner, leave it alone.
John Vaughters
    On Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 3:59:14 PM EDT, Charles Fischer <cfischer at modernferrotype.com> wrote:

 "thorn in the side of IBM and HP", don't forget DEC.  I think SUN caused DEC to make some really bad decisions.  DEC would not cannibalize their VAX sales with lower cost systems.  So SUN would come in and wipe out a DEC site.  Just stupid on DEC's part.  Companies must be able to see when it is better to eat your elders than it is to let the competition gain strength from them.
-Charles

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 3:34 PM John Vaughters via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

 >The K computer comprises 88,128 2.0 GHz eight-core SPARC64 VIIIfx

   Impressive!!!! I was never at that high end side of the business, but I remember hot plug-able CPU's being a big deal for us. Sun was very innovative. The proverbial thorn in the side of IBM and HP. Scaling with a hot plug CPU before the "cloud we need more processing" concept was a very attractive feature for planning growth strategy.
John Vaughters
--
This message was sent to: Charles Fischer <cfischer at modernferrotype.com>