[TriLUG] Looking for a good laptop for development

Roger W. Broseus via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Nov 16 13:42:13 EST 2018

Linux Journal just published Linux Laptop 2018 Buyer's Guide - PDF here
<https://www.linuxjournal.com/sites/default/files/2018-11/LinuxLaptop2018BuyersGuide_0.pdf>.
The models discussed are not aimed towards the "financially limited" but may
provide helpful background.

Personally, I really like Lenovo X-1 Carbons and other variants of the
Thinkpad. They are Linux friendly and the "road warrior's" choice. The Carbons
in particular are robust. There is one model year to avoid - early 20-teens -
but I forget which one . . . maybe 2013? I run Xubuntu as it's "lighter
weight," requires fewer resources.

Look hard for Linux compatibility for some other Lenovo models, e.g., those
with touch screens, etc. T-series: I had a T-40 bought in 2005. I graduated
past that and passed it on to a friend who was still running Win-XP, maybe
less. It's still cookin' fine, running Linux, after 13 years!

Don't expect max battery life with more modern laptops because the internal
batteries are limited in amp-hours of storage capacity.

What I like about T-pads:

    continuing Linux support
    terrific keyboard, some back-lit
    real cap-lock indicator
    non-glare screens
    later models have SSDs and goodly amounts of memory
    power brick is not terribly large
    adequate USB ports

Oh: my later model has no ethernet port - a dongle is required. Fingerprint
reader might non-functional under Linux but, do I care? No. It is said the
code is on a special chip and encrypted to thwart reverse engineering.

I had a Clevo / Sys-76 for awhile. Fragile case; lacking some of what I like.
Over-priced. IF you go that way, look for the equivalent Clevo at pro-star
computers.

/Roger

--
Roger W. Broseus - Linux User