[TriLUG] Looking for a good laptop for development

Wes Garrison via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Nov 18 20:31:19 EST 2018

I love my 2015 X1 Carbon (3rd Gen), but I wouldn't buy it again for 1
reason:
Soldered-on RAM.

I only got 8GiB, which should be enough, but when you use browser tabs as a
"to-do" list like I do, RAM can get scarce.

The T-Series nowadays is *almost* as light and thin as the X1 Carbon, but
with upgrade-able RAM.

If you really love the Carbon, get it, but save yourself some money.  You
don't need an i7 processor.  You don't need a WQHD (or a 4K) screen.  The
stock SSD is plenty of space if you have a NAS or external storage, and the
m.2 SSD is upgrade-able even on the Carbon.

If you are a serious gamer and think you need an i7, then you really
shouldn't be buying a Thinkpad.
Wesley S. Garrison
Network Engineer
Xitech Communications, Inc.
phone:  (919) 260-0803
fax:       (919) 932-5051
"Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from email."