[TriLUG] Looking for a good laptop for development

Dwain Sims via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Nov 18 17:50:52 EST 2018

I was in Costco this afternoon looking at the new Thinkpad X1 Carbon that
they sell.  That is a sweet looking system.  I used one of the Carbon's
(with the funky button bar even!) and I think it was the best overall
laptop I have ever used.  The new X1 at Costco is ~1350.

I am using a company issued Dell 5510, running OpenSUSE 42.3, and it is
pretty decent as well, though I detest its trackpad.  Ugg! (Give me the Red
Eraser on the Thinkpad anyday!)  So I plug in a real keyboard and mouse 98%
of the time.  One thing nice about the Dell is that it has room for two
storage devices; an M.2 SATA and a normal 2.5" SATA.  The 5520 has an NVMe
M.2 in place of the M.2 SATA, as I understand.

I think the only track pad I could ever stand was the one on the Macbook
Pro that I used for a couple of years.

Dwain