[TriLUG] Looking for a good laptop for development

Ken M via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Nov 16 20:20:30 EST 2018

So first of all I will echo the Thinkpad position. I am typing this right now on
a Lenovo T440 I picked up used for $140 on craigslist. Now granted I run OpenBSD
on it but it should be a perfectly good linux install target.

I will go another route and mention a chromebook. A current gen x86 based
chromebook in the low mid range or higher can have both android and linux app
support on it. The default lxc container for the linux apps is debian but you
can set up a new container with whatever linux you want. You get a terminal and
any apps you want. Also if you are new to linux you don't have to install linux
just check a box on the settings to enable it and it will setup the container
for you. After that anything you want is an apt install away. Caveat the linux
on chrome does not support sound yet from an lxc container if that issue.

And dare I mention with the android app support you can install crossover on
chrome and run windows apps. Bang for the buck a chromebook is hard to beat.
Just make sure you get one with at least 4gb of RAM and 32 GB internal disk if
you are planning to run android and/or linux apps on it.

I have an Acer R11 with the 32 gb ssd. I also have an extra 128 gb microsd in
it. It has had play store support for a while but just last weekend linux app
support hit the stable channel for it so I switched to that instead of using
crouton (the old linux on chromeos solution).

Ken